[kdepim-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Kmail messages remain on list, greyed out, and don't go away

James K Gruetzner jkgruet at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 8 17:00:48 BST 2012

On Friday, October 05, 2012 10:39:58 AM Andras Mantia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> James K Gruetzner wrote:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > I've had no luck with searching for a solution, although I've found some
> > similar bug reports.
>
> Can you point me to the bug numbers?

The two most relevand that I found are
278887:  Mbox resource never deletes email
276853:  After delete message list shows deleted message greyed

> > Anyway, if anyone has either a link to a solution or
> > some suggestions, I'd appreciate a pointer.

> > 1. IMAP server, SSL.
> > 2. In the "Inbox", when a message in the message list is deleted or moved
> > to another folder,
> >
> >     a. The message info in the list returns, but is greyed out.
> >     b. The message can no longer be selected
> >
> > Other information.
> > 1. There may or may not be a short period during which the message in the
> > listing is actually gone before it returns.
> > 2. Deleted Inbox messages are *not* getting removed from the IMAP server.
> > 3. If I use another mailer (e.g., MSOutlook) and delete a message, then
> > (after "Send/Receive" in MSOutlook and "Check Mail" in KMail) the ghost
> > messages will become deleted.
> >
> > Suspicion:  there is an error in the IMAP routine which syncs KMail
> > (akonadi?) with the IMAP server, such that KMail knows that a message has
> > been deleted, but fails to let the IMAP server know.
>
> There was a bug that made the INBOX read-only if the server did not support
> ACLs. This will be fixed for the next release. If this is your problem as
> well, a quick fix can be done with akonadiconsole.
> Start "akonadiconsole", go to the Browser tab, select the inbox, right click
> to see the properties and fix the access rights on the ACL tab.

Thanks.  ACL =? Access Control List?  (I've not delved too deeply into email
systems.)

I'm not sure what the access rights should be, but I have:

Item access rights:
 - Checked:  Create, Modify, Delete
 - Unchecked:  Link, Unlink

Collection Access Rights:
  - Checked:  Create, Modify, Delete

> If the rights are correct there, you need to enable IMAP debugging,
> reproduce the problem (delete some mails) and create a bug report by
> attaching the log.
> See http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP .

OK.  Thanks for the link.  I guess I'll need to figure out the server software
first so I can submit a proper bug report.  :-)  [Solved:  Microsoft Exchange
Server v. 14.2.318.4000, which I think is Server 2010 SP2.]

Additional data point:  deleting the message in the akonadiconsole browser
causes it to be deleted in kmail (good!), but when mail next is checked, the
message reappears (greyed out).

> Andras

Thanks again,
   James