[kdepim-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Kmail messages remain on list, greyed out, and don't go away

James K Gruetzner jkgruet at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 8 17:47:58 BST 2012

On Monday, October 08, 2012 10:00:48 AM James K Gruetzner wrote:
> On Friday, October 05, 2012 10:39:58 AM Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > James K Gruetzner wrote:
> > > Hi, all,
> > >
> > > I've had no luck with searching for a solution, although I've found some
> > > similar bug reports.
> >
> > Can you point me to the bug numbers?
>
> The two most relevand that I found are
> 278887:  Mbox resource never deletes email
> 276853:  After delete message list shows deleted message greyed
>
> > > Anyway, if anyone has either a link to a solution or
> > > some suggestions, I'd appreciate a pointer.

> > > 1. IMAP server, SSL.
> > > 2. In the "Inbox", when a message in the message list is deleted or
> > > moved
> > > to another folder,
> > >
> > >     a. The message info in the list returns, but is greyed out.
> > >     b. The message can no longer be selected
> > >
> > > Other information.
> > > 1. There may or may not be a short period during which the message in
> > > the
> > > listing is actually gone before it returns.
> > > 2. Deleted Inbox messages are *not* getting removed from the IMAP
> > > server.
> > > 3. If I use another mailer (e.g., MSOutlook) and delete a message, then
> > > (after "Send/Receive" in MSOutlook and "Check Mail" in KMail) the ghost
> > > messages will become deleted.
> > >
> > > Suspicion:  there is an error in the IMAP routine which syncs KMail
> > > (akonadi?) with the IMAP server, such that KMail knows that a message
> > > has
> > > been deleted, but fails to let the IMAP server know.
> >
> > There was a bug that made the INBOX read-only if the server did not
> > support
> > ACLs. This will be fixed for the next release. If this is your problem as
> > well, a quick fix can be done with akonadiconsole.
> > Start "akonadiconsole", go to the Browser tab, select the inbox, right
> > click to see the properties and fix the access rights on the ACL tab.
>
> Thanks.  ACL =? Access Control List?  (I've not delved too deeply into email
> systems.)
>
> I'm not sure what the access rights should be, but I have:
>
> Item access rights:
>  - Checked:  Create, Modify, Delete
>  - Unchecked:  Link, Unlink
>
> Collection Access Rights:
>   - Checked:  Create, Modify, Delete
>
> > If the rights are correct there, you need to enable IMAP debugging,
> > reproduce the problem (delete some mails) and create a bug report by
> > attaching the log.
> > See http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP .
>
> OK.  Thanks for the link.  I guess I'll need to figure out the server
> software first so I can submit a proper bug report.  :-)  [Solved:
> Microsoft Exchange Server v. 14.2.318.4000, which I think is Server 2010
> SP2.]
>
> Additional data point:  deleting the message in the akonadiconsole browser
> causes it to be deleted in kmail (good!), but when mail next is checked, the
> [...]

Quick bit of additional info:  The section of the log (which is quite long)
that covers the problem of deleting a message that doesn't get deleted on the
server is:

------
C: A000356 SELECT "INBOX"
S: * 1624 EXISTS
S: * 0 RECENT
S: * FLAGS ( \Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft $MDNSent )
S: * OK Permanent flags [ PERMANENTFLAGS ( \Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted
\Draft $MDNSent )  ]
S: * OK Is the first unseen message [ UNSEEN 1590  ]
S: * OK UIDVALIDITY value [ UIDVALIDITY 21858  ]
S: * OK The next unique identifier value [ UIDNEXT 85457  ]
S: A000356 OK SELECT completed. [ READ-WRITE  ]
C: A000357 UID STORE 85418 +FLAGS (\Deleted)
akonadi_imap_resource_0(27306)/kdepimlibs (kimap)
KIMAP::StoreJob::handleResponse: We asked for UID but the server didn't give
it back, resultingFlags not stored.
S: * 1596 FETCH ( FLAGS (\Seen \Deleted) )
S: A000357 OK STORE completed.