[kdepim-users] "Conflict resolution" message(s)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Oct 11 07:11:50 BST 2012

Russ Kepler wrote:

> I often get a "Conflict resolution" message when in mail, the attached
> when I
> sent a reply to an email I'd recently received.  I don't really know what
> these messages are for and I tend to simply "take the left one".
>
> Can someone explain what causes these and maybe some way to eliminate
> them?

It says that there were two, conflicting modifications for the same item
(mail). Here some application modified the mail to be read (\SEEN on the
left part), while the other modified to mark it as read and replied (\SEEN,
$REPLIED). You see the timestamp of the modifications and the difference.
Take left/right is about which version do you want to keep.
That is about the dialog. Now if this is user friendly or if it should
appear or not it is another question.

The problems:

1) It should appear only if really needed. E.g if you modify the same mail
in KMail and another application. Apparently now it appears also when only
KMail is involved, so if you could find how to reproduce, would be great.
If you do, please report it on bugs.kde.org.

2) The dialog is not user friendly, it is hard to find the differences
especially if the change in not in the flags (like here), but in the message
structure. Suggestions to improve it are welcome.

Andras