[kdepim-users] Searching problems

Russ Kepler russ at kepler-eng.com
Mon Nov 19 23:04:22 GMT 2012

On Monday, November 19, 2012 07:39:26 AM O. Sinclair wrote:

> I would enable kubuntu backports ppa and upgrade to 4.9.3 and that for a
> number of reasons. One of them being that filtering and search has been
> "recoded" in KMail, another that autocompletion of mail address from
> address books works, as does distribution lists.

I'm running 4.9.3 from the backport and I have problems where filtering doesn't
work.  I have a filter that should delete messages from a particular user in a
mailing list, I find messages with the 'delete' email in the folder for the
mailing list (populated by another filter).  If I select the message either
singly or in a set of messages and apply filters the filter seems to activate
and the messages delete.  So there are still some issues with filters (or new
issues).

> Search also works better after initial indexing is done. Am not sure it
> works "perfect" as I don't use it that often, but it does work more the
> way I expect it to.
>
> You should also find that the whole "virtuoso ate my CPU" is less of an
> issue once initial indexing is completed.

My "akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc" contains:

[InitialIndexing]
IndexCompatLevel=3
InitialIndexingComplete=true

at the front and I still have virtuoso-t eating about 1 cpu (13%) and
nepomukservicestub 3% from my 6 core system.  It sure looks like it's writing
to mysql, I see a bunch of write activity every couple of minutes from mysql
while the virtuoso-t stops processing for a the time mysql writes (note: I
can't access email bodies during that time, either - not really a bother as
it's only a few seconds).

Thoughts?

Search also has some oddities - I can search for a single word term and get
fairly instant results, but adding another single word that might appear in
10% of the results of the first turns the search into a very long one - I can't
tell exactly how long because there's nothing to really indicate when the
search is ruuning and when it's complete.  A wait cursor or something in the
search would be greatly appreciated...