[kdepim-users] How can I make kmail not send mail to users with no address???

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Nov 26 12:40:11 GMT 2012

On Monday, 2012-11-26, Anders Lund wrote:
> If I enter a name in the To field of composer, like in this mail, kmail (or
> akonadi_something?) will send the mail to <that name>@<my hostname>, which
> is guaranteed to not work.
>
> Where can I configure kmail to not do that? It would be smart if it would
> complain about the missing address instead!

My guess for this behavior is that it is a legacy issue.
KMail was originally developed on and for Linux systems, which at that time
came with a mail system installed as a system requirement (so that automated
mails can be delivered to root's mail account).

In such systems is was customary to address local users with just their user
name, i.e. not requiring to add @hostname to all local mails.

Nowadays it might be better to enforce addresses with @something and have
those few who use a local mail system add @localhost.

Mght be worth to check if there is already a bug report against KMail for
that.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring