[kdepim-users] [EXTERNAL] filters on ongoing messages sucks

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun May 27 13:31:14 BST 2012

On Sunday, 2012-05-27, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 26. Mai 2012 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

> > If I understand correctly other distributions that are somewhat similar
> > to Debian Unstable do not have that automatism when it comes to their
> > respective Stables, e.g. if we treat Fedora as a kind of
> > Unstable/Testing for Red Hat, then Red Hat will still apply manual
> > selection from things that have been successfully deployed on Fedora
> > systems.
>
> For what I know Debian is the only distribution with three-tier staging
> system:
>
> - Unstable
> - Testing
> - Stable
>
> A specific Testing suite is missing in other distributions AFAIK.

Right, but what I was referring to is that most other distributions do either
not have an "enterprise product" or if they have, apply an extra selection
process when deciding what to add to that product.

E.g. Fedora or OpenSUSE are updated in short intervals, providing a proving
ground for the backing company's enterprise product but not being the direct
future copy of it.
So they are more flexible in which version enters the community product as they
can still not select versions for the enterprise product they would feel
unconfortable of supporting. Debian more or less needs to make that decision
at the Experimental -> Unstable transition.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring