[kdepim-users] Kmail and automatic completion

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 03:46:12 GMT 2012

On 10/03/12 16:25, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 10/03/12 15:21, Markus Feilner wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 10. Februar 2012, 13:07:37 schrieb Markus Feilner:
>> (...)
>>> Yes, I had tried that before, several times, without helping effect.
>>> I even
>>> tried it with a fresh, virgin user account, with no KDE config settings
>>> other than the standard - to make sure there is no old stuff involved.
>>> Didn't help.
>>>
>>> But I will try that again today or tomorrow and tell you if it worked -
>>> there had been some updates on my system in the meantime.
>>>
>>> I hope it helps..., CNPing adresses is really disgusting ... :-)
>> (...)
>>
>> Hi List,
>> after several recommendations from Cebit I just upgraded to KDE SC
>> try whether you were right with "KDE 4.8.1 is much better now, please try
>> that!". Thanks to all of you I met there!
>>
>> Then I deleted my old contact acccount from the Akonadi Module. I checked
>> whether Nepomuk and Strigi are running, yes they do. I restartet
>> Akonadi from
>> Akonaditray, no obvious problems.
>>
>> Then I added my Kolab ressource for my adress book - that works fine
>> so far,
>> but however I still have no autocompletion in new E-Mails (in fact in
>> no E-
>> Mails...). Only exception is that Kontact/Kmail seeem to integrate my
>> recently
>> used adresses, but not the adress book. However, if I click on "Choose"
>> ("Auswählen") , I see all my contacts.
>>
>> What can I do? The calendar seems to work fine, even with two calendar
>> folders
>> on two different IMAP-Accounts (private and business) - on two different
>> servers! Nice.
>>
>> This all describes a Ubuntu 11.10 system, with the newest Upgrades
>> installed.
>>

> I can only describe how I get this working when I lose autocompletion on
> my Kubuntu 11.10 KDE 4.7.4. It happens at times, not often. It does NOT
> come back by itself...
>
> First of all - back up your contacts data folder and be prepared to find
> your distribution lists gone. You don't have them working at this moment
> in any case but I have many times lost them.
>
> What I then do is to create a new Akonadi-based vcard-directory address
> book pointing to the same directory as my Personal Contacts.
>
> Activate that resource in Kontact or Kadressbook and completion works
> (normally you have to type a full name before it "kicks in").
>
> I then remove Personal Contacts, recreate it, activate it and then
> remove the vcard resource. "Normally" autocompletion now works as
> expected. As to why - I have no idea, this I found out by trial and
> error. And yes I have reported it.
>
> Sinclair

Note that in my experince (have tried both with backported 4.8 on
Kubuntu 11.10 and now on 12.04 beta with 4.8.1) this "trick" does not
work. And I have found nothing else that does either... yet.

So for me all versions above 4.7.4 have no autocompletion of addresses
from addressbooks in KMail.

Sinclair