[kdepim-users] KDEPIM 4.8.1 showstopper - for me at least

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Mar 23 15:21:04 GMT 2012

On Friday, 2012-03-23, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 23/03/12 12:21, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> >> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=100742
> >
> > So a user running a self built version thinks that a possible cause could
> > have been a porting artifact.
> > Not sure how this translates into "a developer claims this was
> > deliberately removed".
> >
> > Interestingly one commentor on this thread wrote that it works for him.
> > Maybe we should also translate this in a similar manner as "a developer
> > claims this was deliberately implemented to quickly send emails to
> > contacts"
> >
> > Subscription management:
>
> more specifically he states he is "System Settings and Device Actions
> KCM maintainer".

Yes, he is.

> Not quite mr. Average User but to me a developer.

Being a developer doesn't mean you are not a just a user of a different
software, even if it comes from the same vendor.
Building that other software yourself might make you a more non average user,
but then this would also be true for any non-developer building themselves,
e.g. Gentoo users.

A difference would have been if he had stated that he had checked the code and
saw that said functionality was disabled, but he just stated an assumption.

If I am tracking down a solution for another user's question by trying menu
options or settings that sound related than this is very different than going
into the code and searching there.
And depending on the complexity of the code this might even be different from
what a developer accustomed to the code can dig up.

I wish being a developer would make me automatically all-knowing about any
piece of software, alas it does not :-/

> Though perhaps not of KDEPIM but I struggle to remember when anyone but
> Ingo Klöcker to active part on this list or other forums.

I'd say from the last couple of days on this list at least also Andras and
myself.
Not any other KMail developer though as far as I can tell.
Haven't checked the forum though.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring