[kdepim-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: survey results...

James K. Gruetzner jkgruet at sandia.gov
Thu Jan 19 17:03:28 GMT 2012

On Thursday, January 19, 2012 05:43:45 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> On Thursday 19 January 2012 12:18 Mathias Homann wrote:
> > 50% of the 110 people who actually filled in that survey said that the
> > quality of kontact is worse than it was before 0.o
>
> I believe it reflects problems with Akonadi/Nepomuk. The application itself
> has improved vastly, and the few backend problems left are being ironed
> out. I use Kontact all the time, and use akonadiconsole to solve the few
> quirks that is left.

That is likely so.  However, for the standard end user, the problem is perceived
to be with the application, not the back-end.  Thus, the overall quality has
dropped.

There is basically little available in the Handbook on dealing with Akonadi
problems.  For example, in the KMail FAQ section -- one of the first places to go
to if there's a problem -- there are *zero* references to Akonadi.  In the KDE
Help Center Table of Contents, there are zero mentions of Akonadi.

Based upon the above paragraph, I used the Search portion of the KDE menue to find
Akonadiconsole.  The very first thing that popped up was a warning dialog saying
not to use unless "you know what you are doing" (like almost everyone using KMail,
I don't) with the bold-face warning "Use at your own risk!"   Once in
AkonadiConsole, going to Help > Akonadie Console Handbook produces a
"Documentation not Found" result, and a suggestion to go to the docs.kde.org
website.  A search there results in "The application akonadiconsole could not be
found."

It looks like Kontact and associated apps will be better than before, but the
reality is that it currently is not.  Perhaps a bit of "how to use Akonadi to fix
kde PIM problems".  I did find some info at
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting#Introduction , but wouldn't
have had I not known -- from outside the kontact/kmail/kdePIM help system -- that
Akonadi is likely to be a cause of problems.

IOW, I agree with you, but paths help to the user in solving problems are not well
marked.   :-)

   James