[kdepim-users] Nepomukindexer hell and how to get out of it

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:03:31 GMT 2012

This is related to use of KDEPIM so I mail it here though the problem is
actually coming from Desktop Search.

I and many others have found that with Desktop Search switched on you
get soaring CPU use and a heating computer. Process "nepomukindexer"
chews up to 25% of CPU and seemingly never stops.

After a thread on another list I found that increasing the allocated
memory for Desktop Search via System Settings to 350 Mb eradicated the
problem. Monitoring it on and off I have found "virtuoso" now replaces
"nepomukindexer" and uses 295 up to over 300 Mb RAM but modest amounts
of CPU.

and I don't have to listen to the fans on my laptop working at top
speed... and Adressbook address autocompletion works and so on.

Kindly
Sinclair