[kdepim-users] Kalendar: how to continue to use *.ics files (4.4.11.1)

Stefan Brill stefan.brill at uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Jan 11 10:59:31 GMT 2012

Dear all,

I recently upgraded KDE from 4.6.5 to 4.7.3 (under Gentoo), intentionally staying with KDE-PIM 4.4.11.1. In Kalendar, I prefer to use one *.ics file for
each of my (few) calendars, e.g. work.ics, private.ics etc. I put them in a subdir in my home since I consider them "data" like any other files I work with
and I want to be able to handle them with the usual UNIX tools, copy them around between computers and so on.

Since the KDE upgrade, I don't see any of my calendars in Kalendar / Kontact anymore, the files however still exist and are unchanged. I don't seem to be
able to tell (the same, not at all updated version of) Kalendar to continue to use these. If I try to create the calendars anew I have many choices
regarding the backend, however "local file" (whatever that was called originally) doesn't seem to be available. Creating calendars as local directories and
importing the ics files does work (my entries become visible in the Kalendar GUI again), however now each individual entry is represented by a vCalendar
file - resulting in hundreds of files.

Can someone help me to

a) get Kalendar back to work with one ics file per calendar
b) enlighten me regarding the reasons for this behaviour

?

Best regards,

Stefan