[kdepim-users] My impressions about the current state of KDE-PIM

infrabit at infrabit.net infrabit at infrabit.net
Sun Jan 8 05:24:10 GMT 2012

On Sunday, January 08,2012 12:32:09 PM Alexander Puchmayr wrote:

> The status now is, that I cannot open any existing mails, no matter in which
> folder they are. KMail only tells "Retrieving folder contents - please wait",
> and is doing so for hours until I gave up.

Since you are on Gentoo:

here's what I've been running for a week now:

Assuming that you've read Gentoo KMail2 migration guide, this is what worked
for me (took a while to figure all out but I've had no issues since then):

1. Export your KMail filters

2. Run in this sequence (taken from my bash history):

   Note:
      One thing that I'd suggest is before restarting 'akonadi' (line 45354
      below) make sure 'virtuoso-t' is stopped and if it is not you can
      properly shut it down with (read [1] first)::

         45369  2012-01-03,11:51:27:  cat /tmp/virtuoso_T31639.ini | grep "Port"
         45370  2012-01-03,11:51:30:  isql-v -H localhost -S 1112 -U dba -P dba -K

   So here are the commands [2]::

      45348  2012-01-03,13:21:08:  akonadictl status
      45349  2012-01-03,13:21:10:  akonadictl stop
      45350  2012-01-03,13:21:53:  akonadictl status
      45351  2012-01-03,13:21:58:  qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit
      45352  2012-01-03,13:23:06:  mv ~/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk/ ~/temp/
      45353  2012-01-03,13:26:57:  akonadictl status
      45354  2012-01-03,13:27:01:  akonadictl start

3. Check you KMail filters, import if necessary.

4. Add a new Address Book pointing to your current file/directory [1]

Read [3], [4] and [5] to better understand what's going on.

[1] http://kdeatopensuse.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/debugging-nepomukvirtuosos-cpu-usage/
[2] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdepim-users&m=132216525522932&w=2
[3] http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting
[4] http://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/nepomuk-in-kmail-2/
[5] http://blogs.kde.org/node/4503

> On the other hand,  ordinary users do not care about all this. They do not
> know anything about akonadi and its resources, do not care where all this
> stuff is stored on the hard drive and whether there is a database in the
> background or not. Bothering users with all that is simply asked too much of
> them, they lack the background knowledge. Even users that have advanced
> knowledge need several hours to get the information and understand how it
> works, time they simply do not want to spend. Such things *have* to work, and
> if they don't, they have to be considered to be broken.

It is because opensource is not only a bunch of software, it's a community
where you can learn, help and give back. Agreed that things must just work and
sometimes things will break, this is all part of development but admittedly we
do better than Microsoft or Apple.

> I really hope that
> this will be improved in the future, since it forces me now to migrate back
> to pim-4.4, and stay there until a really working and stable version is
> abailable, likely preventing me from installing further KDE-updates;

See above my KDE and kernel versions. Update first to a decent kernel and gcc
then post back if after following the above steps and reading through articles
you are still having issues.

> Since I am definitely not the only one
> having problems, I strongly advise the developers to take that absolutely
> serious, otherwise they will develop for just themselves in the future.

You are running tons of apps that in other worlds would cost you a fortune and
they will not just work out of the box. Before making such strong statements
consider helping out.

--
JustAnotherUser