[kdepim-users] My impressions about the current state of KDE-PIM

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 09:16:34 GMT 2012

On 08/01/12 09:39, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2012 09.03.34 O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 08/01/12 07:24, infrabit at infrabit.net wrote:
>>> On Sunday, January 08,2012 12:32:09 PM Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> [...]
>> While I agree with you on "tons of apps" statement you also prove his
>> point - your advice list to get it working is way beyond what "non IT
>> pros" would and should have to go through to make KDEPIM work.
>
> Hmm, isn't this the nix philosophy? "One app per task" as opposed to the MS one, "one app
> to rule them all". I for one think that this is the way to go, it is easier to get ten relatively
> small apps to work then one app ten times the size and complexity.
>
> I must just say that if you start with a 4.7 (preferably .4) version things are much better
> and since this is the first (4.7) official release of KDEPIM I do not agree on all of these
> bad impressions mail. Many of then are based on pre release versions of the PIM stack.
> One week point has been the migration wizard.
>
> Also please not that the state of PIM has improved greatly from the first unofficial release (4.5)
> until now, so yes we do take problems seriously, our issue is a simple one of manpower.
>
> In PIM we have two kinds of developers,
>
> 1: Payed, they work on the part that there customers
> pay them to work on.
> 2: Volunteers: We work when we have time and on the things that motivates us.
>
> For PIM the sad truth is that the number of developers that actually stay and do more
> then one or two things are quite low, so the ones that do stay have too many bugs to
> fix. We will get the akonadi based PIM stack to be even better then the old one, but it will
> require some more time and constructive feedback and bug reports.

Once again - I think that confirms his statement: KDEPIM2 was not ready
for release and should either have been released as "experimental" or
with the option to stay on KDEPIM1 for daily users.

I have got it working after much tinkering and I only use pop3. IMAP
seems to be a mess judging from comments here. I would not even dream of
asking the users I support to start using KMail at this moment unless I
can put them on KMail1 somehow.

Sorry for sounding negative but I do think it was premature to just
replace stable KMail1 without giving the option to stay on old version
when devs/packagers should have been aware of the amount of bugs,
nonworking migration etc.