[kdepim-users] KMail2 and imap

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Jan 5 17:01:06 GMT 2012

Am 05.01.2012 17:14, schrieb O. Sinclair:
> As I get it from all the comments IMAP fetching seems to be the real
> headache with KMail2. Once I had fixed (back) my Personal Contacts, set
> up my different Identities and pop/smtp accounts I must say that most
> things work OK. Not quite back to where they were, but OK.

I am a long time kmail user and still use kmail (now version 2).
Currently it is not my only mail client. This is based on minor issues
with imap (may be related to may little old cyrus imap server).

- imap idle is not working
- cyclic polling works but clutters my maillog and backup
- imap folder sortation is not the best

I got a little bit upset due to mail loose after removing my akonadi DB
(migrating from my old host to my new one without copying the akonadi
DB). But this issue is already addressed and solved (afaik 4.8 only).

As I use thunderbird on other OSes than linux anyway I currently use
TBird on linux as well. But this a partially due to integration of SOGo
plugins.

In general I have no major issues with kmail/akonadi but there are
problems still not solved:

Is the akonadi configuration based on config files or in DB as well.
Once I was told the akonadi DB works a cache only but this seems to be
not true. It would be great if someone at akonadi team pointed out how
to do backup or users home folder sync (one user on many hosts).

I wish a simple (to sync and backup) configuration and a cache DB which
I can ignore for backup/sync. I prefer text base configuration (backup
restore and change management is easier).

> Had the odd problem with non-working spam filters, got around that by
> editing them. Other filter problems very minor (to me) and finally
> managed to kill off reoccuring nepomuk indexing by leaving Semantic
> Desktop on but switching off Strigi indexing.

As I filter in my imap server side only I have no problems with kmail
filters. And strigi is switched of as well.

> So my advice to developers must be: focus on Imap, disconnected or not.
> For other users, consider using pop if you want stability.
>
> I hate to see long time users and helpers (no names, you know who you
> are) giving up and moving over to T-Bird and other systems.

Here just my humble opinion: akonadi is the right way to go. As I
already said I wished the configuration is text file based and the DB is
used for caching only. It is easier to set up (as system administrator)
and maintain. So if the cache is bad I can simply delete the DB and
everything is fine again. But there are really good developers out there
at the akonadi/kmail end and I think they will find a good solution at
the end.

Martin