[kdepim-users] My impressions about the current state of KDE-PIM

Carsten Aulbert Carsten.Aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Sun Jan 8 12:49:11 GMT 2012

Hi

just reading without any direct kmail2 knowledge which I will probably use
once it appears in Debian wheezy.

On Sunday 08 January 2012 13:03:16 Torgny Nyblom wrote:

> Let's just say that that review lacked some basic things and as such hardly
> can count.
>
> With that lets end this thread with the conclusion that we disagree on the
> current state but agree that PIM can get better.

I'd say, it looks like kmail2 is currently not in a state satisfying neither
for (knowledgeable) users nor devs - thus would it help to channel the "anger"
to the joint goal of getting kmail2 into a much better shape?

I know there is the main bug tracker and a lot of forums out there discussing
issues and problems, but I miss a where this information is really available.
There is http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM#KDE_PIM_4 with a couple of
links, but I don't think that's enough to address the frustration.

Would a kind of experiment help, where the wants and needs of users are
collected and summarized, and commented upon by devs/other users how to solve
get around it? This experiment should *only* cover the step from kmail1 to
kmail2, but maybe this might help to get the ball rolling faster.

Though, I'm not sure what the best way of getting this done is - another wiki
page and if so, something anyone can edit or only a smaller group trying to
act as the glue?; part of the larger bug tracker; something else?

What do people here think?

Cheers

Carsten