[kdepim-users] Serious and fatal problems with kontact

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Jan 2 19:31:03 GMT 2012

Am 02.01.2012 19:49, schrieb Wim Delvaux:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using kde since it was still version 1 but I can say that
> this release 4.7.3is the WORST !!!! version i have ever used.

No, It is not!!!

> I keep loosing my mails (currently of about 2GB of mails NOTHING is
> shown ... (no folders no headers nothing).

Are the mails really lost? Can you prove this by using another mail client?

> I often am unable to send mails (smtp just hangs forever).

What does the smtp server log say? Is the connection still available? If
you don't have a smtp server of your own think about installing one
(like esmtp).

> my contacts list is empty (of about 200 or so entries)
>
> Problems occured after upgrading to the kmail2 system ... kmail1 worked
> perfectly ....

I once made an upgrade (was beta at this time) but never did it again -
so I have no idea what may went wrong.

But If you relay on your mails think about setting up a local imap
server (dovecot). With this you can simply switch to another mail client
if kmail hangs. And if you don't set up auto expiration you will not
loose mails (I have not).

> I have delete reset, removed renamed and whatever almost EVERY config
> ANYBODY has ever proposed... still I get no mails to be seen

removing config is not enough. If you really want to start from the
beginning you have to remove all akonadi stuff, kmail config and nepomuk
(virtuoso) config/DB.

> Also nepomuk complains sometimes about not being started or being
> started to many times.  Indexers seem to fail or not ... I have opened
> the akonadi console and debugged and restarted and reactivated and what
> not ... all to no avail
>
> the install is an a clean Kubuntu 11.10 using a recycled home folder.
>
> I have no problem resetting my complete KDE environment as long as I do
> not lose my mails.

As I said in another thread: set up a local imap server and use it. If
you ant to be sure, setup an smtp server as well. With this you have
full control over sending and receiving mails WITHOUT kmail.

Martin