[kdepim-users] KDEPIM migration from KDE4 to KDE3.5?

infrabit at infrabit.net infrabit at infrabit.net
Mon Jan 9 21:43:01 GMT 2012

On Monday, January 09,2012 10:18:42 PM Martin Bernreuther wrote:

> Since KDE 3 saves data in ~/.kde and KDE4 in ~/.kde4 there's no problem with
> a "clean start".
> It's the opposite problem: I want all the mails I received during the KDE4
> time back in the
> Kontact/KDE3!
>
> > ignore Gentoo specifics:
> > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade#Downgrading_to_4.4_again
>
> Again this is about deleting data to get a clean start, which is not my
> problem.
> I want to transfer the configuration and the email data similar to what
> the KDE3-to-KDE4 migrator does. I want to have an archive of emails
> within Kmail to search also old emails.
>

> I just tried to copy config/kmailrc and apps/kmail from
> ~/.kde4/share/ to ~/.kde/share and start the KDE3 kontact,
> but the configuration for incoming servers email was lost.
> (It seems to work for Identities & outcoming servers)

Hi Martin,

You are referring to KDE3 and I hope that you actually meant KDE4.4??

It must be something else that prevents 4.7 to work properly. Is your system up
to date (e.g. kdelibs, I would suggest even other components, kernel included,
as I don't believe most of KDE devs run old non-KDE software)?

Not about downgrading, KMail2 doesn't store mail differently. Akonadi, Nepomuk,
Virtuoso are all tools to store metadata. I posted a bunch of links at
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdepim-users&m=132600044426571&w=2 that helped me
understand what the heck all these components do and eventually fix my setup
after a failed migration (which AFAIK is known to have bugs but that doesn't
prevent anyone to do it the old school way, again see the links).

If I were you I would try reverting to the 4.4 config and then import POP mails
(File->Import Messages).  If you are using IMAP you don't need to do that. You
might want to export the filters as well (read the post).

HTH,
Viorel