[kdepim-users] Kmail and automatic completion

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:00:07 GMT 2012

On 09/02/12 11:22, Markus Feilner wrote:
> Am Montag, 6. Februar 2012, 22:36:53 schrieb Sérgio Basto:
>> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 20:36 +0200, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> (...)
>>

>> On kmail 4.7.x from F16 full update, I got auto-complete after 3 letters
>> of recent addresses .
>> And I got auto-complete from address book, _but_ just when I write the
>> complete name.
>> If i write joh just get from recent addresses, but if I write more n
>> (john) here we go with address book also , this is a bug or feature ?
>>

>> Thanks,
>
> Nope, here it is different. Auto-Completion from recently used adresses works,
> but not from my Adressbook (which resides on a Kolab Server). Not with few
> letters, not with full name.
>
> Pretty sad...

Did you try my little waltz that at least works for me on 4.7.4 :
1. Leave Personal Contacts resource as it is (or remove it and then
recreate it AFTER step 3)
2. Stop Kontact, KMail & KAddressbook
3. Use System Settings Akonadi resources or KAddressbook to create a
vcard folder resource based on a local directory - point it to the same
folder as Personal Contacts
4. Start Kontact and tick both addressbooks in Contacts part or start
KAddressbook and do that
5. Start KMail or use Mail-part in Kontact and check if autocompletion
works (note after one full part of name, at least for me, eg. John not  jo)
6. If so in Kontact indicate that you only want to use Personal Contacts
and ..
voila it works..

I normally (have done this a few times now) then remove the vcard folder
based resource.

I have also been in the "depreciated" KDE resources in System Settings
and I think I tried to tick Personal Contacts as "standard" even though
it is "read-only" there somewhere between step 3 and 4 - step 3.5??

good luck
Sinclair