[kdepim-users] Data loss :(

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sun Feb 12 09:28:50 GMT 2012

Lørdag den 11. februar 2012 23:54:02 Andras Mantia skrev:
> Anders Lund wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > During importing my old mail, that I archieved using the built in
> > archieving function of kmail (1), it appears that many hundred messages
> > have lost most of their headers. All mails i have looked in, have only a
> > X-Bogosity header left (and some of them some multipart/message stuff),
> > and hence they all appear in block "unknown" with no subject, sender,
> > receiver etc. They also appear undecoded.
> >
> > This is a really bad loss of value for me, but luckily I have kept the
> > archieve, and mails in that appears to be ok.
> >
> > But how can I get them in, if the importer is broken? And how can I select
> > only the broken ones?
> >
> > Any ideas are wellcome!
>
> It would be good to know what headers got lost.

There are only one or two headers left in ALL those messages: X-Bogosity and
Mime-version. So To, From, Subject, anything technical, dates, anything else,
is lost.

> I don't know how KMailCVT works, what does it use exactly, but here are some
> ideas:
> - unzip the archives and do a manual import (in case of maildir, it should
> be just copying the mail files to a maildir folder's new or cur folder)

Ok, I may try that, but I have a problem with it:
* I can't know what messages to import, it is almost impossible to find out
which they are. Maybe I need to write a perl script that compares the mail
bodies.
I fear importing the whole archieve and using kmails remove duplicate
functionality, because importing all those messages  looks like something that
could trigger a REALLY bad tripp to akonadi/nepomuk misbehavior hell.

> - create a bug report and add a small archive file that shows the problem

Frankly, I think this problem is related to the size of the archieve, I think
akonadi/nepomuk chokes and stops working when there is too much work. They had
to be killed during import of the larger folders of my archieves, otherwise it
would not have finished yet. (I think actually you recommended that in a thread
on kdepim-users.)

I have no idea what trigger this problem otherwise, the broken messages does
not have anything in common, nor are they on average different from from my
other messages.

Anders