[kdepim-users] Configuring Kmail account in KDE v4.7 (With Screenshots)

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Mon Feb 6 09:14:26 GMT 2012

On 02/05/2012 11:21 AM, Anders Lund wrote:
>> What happens is much better explained with the aid of screenshots, which
>> >  can be seen at<ftp.hashkedim.com/pub/KmailCfg.pdf>, which also corrects
>> >  some errors I made in the earlier description quoted above.
> If you scroll down in the dialog that pops up when you click "Add...", there
> is the option to add a pop3 resource, which asks for the mail server etc. I
> think that is what you want.
>
> I agree that it is confusing that the storage directory is suddenly considered
> an account.
>
> You need only one of those, and one is provided pr default, namely the "Local
> folders". When adding a pop3 account, the "Advanced" tab contains an option
> for where to store the mail, it defaults to "Local folders/indbakke".
>
> Anders

I don't wonder that I didn't see the additional options in the lower
(undisplayed) part of the dialog; that window has no scroll bars, as you
can see in the screenshots, and there is no reason for one to think
there is more. Thanks for pointing it out. The POP side of Kmail is now
working, except for the annoying fact that the field for entering the
password for the POP server is greyed out, so I can't enter it, and I
have to supply it manually the first time in a session that I want to
retrieve mail. That has to go.

Now that Kmail can receive mail, I can test the SMTP side (the servers
require that I retrieve mail, and only then can I send mail. I find that
sending is impossible, and the attempt brings up the following error
message: "...The server responded 'sorry, your envelope sender domain
must exist (#57,1)'"

I have no idea what it thinks is wrong. The settings in this
configuration are copied from the configuration of a well-functioning
copy of Kmail in v11.4. If they work in one instance, they should work
in the other. I don't see how to diagnose this problem, or for that
matter the one of the greyed out password field in the POP side.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on