[kdepim-users] KMail2 at kdepim 4.9.0

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 20:22:26 BST 2012

On 16/08/2012 21:21, Robert Smits wrote:
> On August 14, 2012 03:08:24 am Robin Atwood wrote:
>> Does the community consider KMail2 usable yet? I have gotten a bit tired of
>> installing the latest kdepim and after a day rapidly restoring 4.4.11.1.
>> Last time the main problem for me was that the filters were not
>> automatically applied, I had to constantly do C-A/C-J manually. Also, the
>> mail was never delivered to the inbox folder but the enveloping one, call
>> Folder or something.
>>
>> So what's the feeling out there?
>>
>> Cheers
>> -Robin
>
> Hi, Robin. While I periodically install and check the current iteration of
> KMail and KDEPIM4, I'm not optimistic that it will ever reach the level of
> usability as KDEPIM3. While my OS is OpenSuSE 12.1 KDE4, on all my systems I
> still run the KDE3 version of KDEPIM.
>
> It just works, which is not something I can say about KDEPIM4. KDEPIM4 still
> cannot deal with groups and lists, doesn't allow me to use my existing
> addresses and categories, and isn't, in general, an improvement. It certainly
> isn't any faster.
>
> It's not that I don't appreciate the effort and work that has gone into
> KDEPIM4, but don't regard the result as particularly useful compared to
> KDEPIM3.

I am assuming you mean what most call KDEPIM2 when you write KDEPIM4,
that is the KDE4 version of KDEPIM.

So I have protest - v4.9 that I am on now seems to have no problems with
lists/groups and most certainly I have used the same basic address list
(personal contacts) since KDE3.

Whether it is an improvement or not is up to each and every one - while
I can find myself wishing for a "fork" of the old KDEPIM I can
understand the problem of keeping it alive and updated.

And I could add that also v 4.7.x worked quite well while I was most
unhappy with 4.8.x - and choose not to upgrade. As in THAT version
groups/lists have problems and functions such as autocomplete an address
from your addressbook did not work.

kind regards,
Sinclair