[kdepim-users] handling akonadi and nepomuk

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Aug 6 17:57:24 BST 2012

On Monday, 2012-08-06, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Hallo
>
> I run rsync on every login/logout of my base users to sync the data from
> individual computers from/to the server. In the past I used NFS, but
> with mobile computers this is no longer functional (to slow, unreliable
> network ...).
>
> At logout my akonadi (and probably my nepomuk) is still running
> (shutting down) so my rsync copies open files to the server and with
> this back from the server at next login. So I have (at least sometimes)
> broken database files.
>
> How can I make sure that all processes accessing akonadi db files and
> nepomuk db files are finished so that it is safe to copy them to the
> server?
>
> akonadictl is not the right tool here. It can shutdown the akonadi
> database but afaik it returns immediately. An option to wait until it is
> shut down would be great.

Should be relatively easy to do. Anyone interested in an easy first time
contribution? :)

Until then you could check for the disappearing of
org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control from D-Bus.

> For nepomuk I don't even know any command line tools to check, start or
> stop nepomuk (is there any?).

I don't think there is such a tool but since it appears to be a KDE
application you could try
kquitapp NepomukServer
or
qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit()

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring