[kdepim-users] Kinda good experiences today :)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:56:34 BST 2012

On 28/08/2012 14:36, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Tirsdag den 28. august 2012 13:50:36 O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 28/08/2012 13:43, Anders Lund wrote:
>>> I have had some nice experiences with kmail today:
>>>
>>> I took a dare and enabled email indexing, and after working all morning,
>>> BUT:
>>> * I have to wait quite long after pressing "S" - something like 5-10 secs
>>> before the dialog shows up.
>>> * I have to enter a wildcard to match inside words, like "subject contains
>>> filter" does not find "EntityMimeTypeFilterModel", but "subject contains
>>> *filter" does. I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work, but I
>>> expect "contains" to include partial words.
>>>
>>> I was able to send a message to a group :D
>>> This is one of my most hated issues, so that was a great experience! I
>>> hope it lasts.
>>>
>>> I was able to get address completion! This have not been working except
>>> for a single day some time ago. I had to be patient though, initially i
>>> typed "pet" and went to make coffee, and after a long time, the
>>> completions started to show. I hope it stays, and that the first one in a
>>> new session will not always take that long!
>>>
>>> But all in all, 3 very important features shows signs of life here today!
>>
>> Anders, I think your "indexing" is still ongoing. You can speed that up
>> by following advice in this post on KDE forums:
>> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=98857
>>
>> for me 4.9 works "almost perfect", there are minor issues with filtering
>> and incoming mail. But groups/lists, mail address completion and message
>> searching works for me now.
>>
>> I had to do "a trick" to refresh the index database after many upgrades:
>> see my second post in this topic, before that only a few of mail were
>> indexed/searchable:
>> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=107403
>
> I've done all that some weeks ago.
>
> I have a file named "akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feederrc, reading
>
> [InitialIndexing]
> IndexCompatLevel=1
>
> That worries me, as i indicates that all my contacts are not indexed?
> Completion does not find my groups. I believe it should be possible to add a
> new contact, and have this contact (or group) available in the completion
> immediately!
>
> In general, kmail appears to work well most of the time, but somewhat erratic,
> like when suddenly it decides to just show a white box for a main window, and
> then when quitted using kquitapp showing a dialog claiming that "there was an
> error"; or when suddenly it decides not to finish filtering in one way or the
> other.
>
> But it is usable again, and hopefully will get back to being the killer
> application it used to be! :)

unfortunately I have no idea what the IndexCompatLevel stands for and
comments on KDE forums talks about "heavy rewriting" so don't touch. I
did and everything went berserk...

but you have the other 2 parameters mentioned? Believe me it made a huge
difference to "restart" the indexing and let it go undisturbed. At least
for me.. and yes Groups are in autocompletion for me now