[kdepim-users] Success with Kontact/4.8.2

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 21 15:03:08 BST 2012

Determined to have a clean install on my netbook in time for my
holiday, I installed Mageia beta3.  This was quickly updated to KDE
4.8.2, including kdepim.  Almost everything is working perfectly - almost,
in that I can't connect to my Google contacts, but that's not the end of
the world.

KMail is accessing both Googlemail and my own IMAP server, set up as a
Roaming profile for while I'm away.  No long waits, nothing going missing
and all apparently working perfectly.

Calendar - I'm using my Google calendar - useful as it is on my phone
too.  The new connection facility is unbelievably slick.  Thanks for that!
:-)  The only downside is that the calendar is rather slow to load.  I had
just decided it must be broken when things started to appear.

Contacts - I copied all the vcards from my main laptop onto the
netbook.  I seem to have lost the few cards that were in the top-level
Personal Contacts, but the folders below it are all there.  The old
std.vcf also works fine.

Akregator appears to have picked up all my old feeds - copied in from
the older Fedora 14 install.  I haven't had time to work with it, but it
looks fine, and notifications tell me that new feed entries are arriving.

All in all, this is a huge relief, as my main laptop went down this morning
and looks totally dead :-(  Still, at least this netbook, Mageia, and the
new Kontact are going to get me through.

Thanks to all

Anne