[kdepim-users] Calendars and To-Do List info gone?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Apr 29 06:38:19 BST 2012

Am Samstag, 28. April 2012 schrieb Heinrich Stoellinger:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 02:55:32 +0200, Russ Mannex <russ at mannex.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure what happened, but it seems like Korganizer lost all
> > contact (no pun intended :) with my local calendar and to do list.
> > None of that information is displaying. What's worse, I can't seem
> > to load a backup (does nothing) or even manually add anything. Any
> > ideas?
>
> I (and a number of additional people) have exactly the same problem.
> Somebody said it has to do with the combination of the versions of KDE
> (with me this is Debian-Wheezy and KDE 4.7.4) and KDEPIM
> (4.4.something). Debian has not yet upgraded their KDEPIM version. In
> any case - this situation is unacceptable!!! and certainly NOT a
> recommendation for using KDE/KDEPIM/DEBIAN in a business context!

Huh?

While it may not be the recommended version combination from upstream,
this just works for me. And I am thankful for that. Cause from what I read
here I got the impression that not updating to KDEPIM 2 initially saved me
quite some trouble.

I never had Korganizer lose all contacts and todos. But what do you mean
by "lose" anyway?

I use Akonadi for addresses and calendar with KDEPIM 4.4.5 and PostgreSQL
akonadi backend and aside from the occasional refusal to start PostgreSQL
due to a left over pid file it just works.

So whats your setup? Do you use Akonadi for Korganizer? What do you mean
by loosing its contacts and todos? Are they just not displayed anymore in
the application? Is the original data still there?

martin at merkaba:~> ls -lh .kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics
-rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 7,3M Apr 27 21:01
.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics

(your location may vary)

Anything in ~/.xsession-errors? If Akonadi in use, what does
akonadiconsole say about status of the resource.

Well I think it would be a good thing to have a "how to report bugs" page
for Akonadi somewhere, instead of repeating this here again and again and
again. "Does not work" is not enough.

Anyway, the situation is like it is, whether you choose to accept it or
not.

I agree tough that at some point its better to track upstream which is at
KDEPIM 2 again. Its seems to me a difficult decision on when is the right
time for that.

After I read the thread "Success with Kontact/4.8.2" I got the impression
it might be soon.

The Debian Qt/KDE team took the conservative approach. The OpenSUSE
maintainers followed upstream more closely. Both seemed to have its
advantages and disadvantages to me. But from what I read here, I got the
impression that issues with KDE SC 4.7.4 + 4.4.5 have been quite rare.
Actually this thread seems to be the first one since quite a long time
here. Compare that to the amount of postings regarding KDEPIM 2. But
granted, it all also depends on how many users of each combination are
subscribed to this mailing list and actually post when they have an issue.