[kdepim-users] Calendars and To-Do List info gone?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 06:49:37 BST 2012

On 29/04/12 07:38, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 28. April 2012 schrieb Heinrich Stoellinger:
>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 02:55:32 +0200, Russ Mannex<russ at mannex.com>  wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what happened, but it seems like Korganizer lost all
>>> contact (no pun intended :) with my local calendar and to do list.
>>> None of that information is displaying. What's worse, I can't seem
>>> to load a backup (does nothing) or even manually add anything. Any
>>> ideas?
>>
>> I (and a number of additional people) have exactly the same problem.
>> Somebody said it has to do with the combination of the versions of KDE
>> (with me this is Debian-Wheezy and KDE 4.7.4) and KDEPIM
>> (4.4.something). Debian has not yet upgraded their KDEPIM version. In
>> any case - this situation is unacceptable!!! and certainly NOT a
>> recommendation for using KDE/KDEPIM/DEBIAN in a business context!
>
> Huh?
>
> While it may not be the recommended version combination from upstream,
> this just works for me. And I am thankful for that. Cause from what I read
> here I got the impression that not updating to KDEPIM 2 initially saved me
> quite some trouble.
>
> I never had Korganizer lose all contacts and todos. But what do you mean
> by "lose" anyway?
>
> I use Akonadi for addresses and calendar with KDEPIM 4.4.5 and PostgreSQL
> akonadi backend and aside from the occasional refusal to start PostgreSQL
> due to a left over pid file it just works.
>
> So whats your setup? Do you use Akonadi for Korganizer? What do you mean
> by loosing its contacts and todos? Are they just not displayed anymore in
> the application? Is the original data still there?
>
> martin at merkaba:~>  ls -lh .kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics
> -rw-r--r-- 1 martin martin 7,3M Apr 27 21:01
> .kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics
>
> (your location may vary)
>
> Anything in ~/.xsession-errors? If Akonadi in use, what does
> akonadiconsole say about status of the resource.
>

> Well I think it would be a good thing to have a "how to report bugs" page
> for Akonadi somewhere, instead of repeating this here again and again and
> again. "Does not work" is not enough.

This is an issue - the whole chain of local storage, Akonadi, Nepomuk,
Strigi, is neither well documented nor well understood by most. So if
suddenly I can not use my Calendar where do I start? How do I even know
where to start?

By now I have had so many problems with my Personal Contacts I know how
to check if it is there and how to "resurrect" it. But the real problem
is lack of documentation and a very fragile chain of systems. Where a
user is left hanging to find out where in the chain something went wrong
this time.

Sorry for the rant. However it is still true.

Sinclair