[kdepim-users] SMTP password saving problem and Solution

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 00:36:53 BST 2012

Sometime after the 4.8.1 update I ran into the dreaedd SMTP password will ot
save problem. I'd send an email, the SMTP password prompt would popup, I'd
enter the password, check the "Remember SMTP password" box, click Ok and
eveything would be ok for that session. *Until* I restarted akonadi (or
rebooted), then whole process would start over again.

Well today remembered a similar old Kmail 1.x password problem:

  http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Problem:_Cannot_save_SMTP_password_-
_kwallet_is_unavailable

And tried that:

- went into kwalletmanager|settings|Configure Wallet and deleted "Mail
Dispatcher Agent" from the list.

- Restarted akonadi

- Sent an email.

- Got a kwallet msg box that "Mail Dispatcher Agent" needed access, checked
and applied "allow always"

- Got an Akonadi SMTP password prompt. Entered, checked "remember password"
and applied.

- Mail Sent ok

- Restarted Akonadi. Sent an email. no password prompt

- Rebooted, sent an email, no password prompt.

Problem seems to be solved.

I'd say its exactly the same problem Kmail 1.x was getting - glitch with
kwallet, only akonadi is not passing on the error message for display
("kwallet_is_unavailable"), if it had I would have solved this a lot earlier.
Perhaps the devs could give some thought to that?
--
Lindsay