[kdepim-users] Connecting to KAddressBook

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Apr 13 22:47:13 BST 2012

Am Freitag, 13. April 2012 schrieb O. Sinclair:
> On 13/04/12 13:31, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi Kevin,

> >> Absolutely, reading the actual on-disk data is probably the easiest
> >> way. KDE's PIM data infrastructure supports several ways of storing
> >> addressbook data, e.g. as mentioned above as a directory of vcard
> >> files, or as a vcard file containing multiple contacts, etc.
> >
> > Is that irony?
> >
> > I thought Libreoffice could just use Akonadi to retrieve the
> > addressbook data and then be independent of the way it is stored
> > which may even not be local like a LDAP based addressbook.
>
> Well - Akonadi is a KDE technology, at least for now, and I doubt that
> Libre/Openoffice has made any efforts yet to adapt to it. Possibly
> Calligra but that was not the question.
>
> Fact remains: your Personal Contacts is a folder with vcard files in
> it. All but Distrbution Lists/Groups should work if you point
> Libreoffice to it and LOffice has a function for vcard folders.

On *some* setups.

Let me see:

- KDE address book (traditional)
- Personal Contacts (which should be like VCard directory in
./local/share/contacts I suppose)
- VCard Directory
- VCard File

is possible.

Okay, I do not find LDAP in the list of agents I can add in akonadiconsole,
but still, sooner or later I hope there will be something like this
(again).

So, while accessing a vcard folder at ~/.local/share/contacts might be
easiest for now, it does only work for the standard "Personal Contacts"
agent.

When I use a second adress book at a different vcard directory I won´t see
it in Libre Office unless I can configure several vcard folders. And actually
I use one. Thus at least I would have to configure my addressbooks *twice*.

And thats exactly the idea behind Akonadi. I configure my PIM data stuff
once and access the pim data everywhere.

And AFAIK Akonadi is no KDE-only technology at all.