[kdepim-users] [Kde-pim] fuck you, akonadi

ianseeks ianseeks at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 12 15:10:38 BST 2012

On Thursday 12 Apr 2012 09:52:38 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2012 08.30:50 ianseeks wrote:
> > I must admit i still don't see the reason for Akonadi etc other than an
> > "itch  to scratch". I can't rationalise this direction at all, it just
> > seems so over designed and over engineered for the ordinary user.
>
> Assuming that the ordinary user never wants to use mobile phones or tablets,
> never has more than one email account with a couple of mails per day, and
> never uses Facebook or any other social media service, you're probably
> right that Akonadi is overdesigned. Who needs that Web 2.0 stuff, anyhow?
Simplicity is the case for vast majority of users out in the wide world,
Akonadi should be able to turned off for them. The PIM elements should have
their databases all under a .kontact directory, it'll certainly makes backups
a lot easier. Disk space is cheap. Akonadi, if enabled, could then create its
own database from the applications own data

> Assuming however that ordinary users do at least some of these things,
> Akonadi or something like it was inevitable. The old monolithic
> applications got as far as they were able to go, and if that is fine for
> you, then by all means keep using them.
I don't think 90% of users need this level of integration but maybe developers
and enterprise users do.  Its so easy to get wrapped up the your own world
view that you think everyone else is doing or should be doing the same as you.
Take a look at the reasons for the Unix system directory structures, they've
made all sorts of excuses to justify why there are so many folders for the
system binaries when it was all only down to a lack of mountable disk space.
At least Red Hat are looking at rationalising this structure into a less
complex mess.
Simplicity Rules.

> But demanding new features and simultaneously criticising the refactoring
> work that was required to be able to work on them seems a bit unfair.
I don't demand new features.  I think its already feature rich for 90% of the
users.

> Because of this work KDE PIM is the one application that actually gives the
> Free Software desktop a chance to replace Windows, because for a variety of
> reasons it is the only application that has a real shot at replacing
> Outlook.
Yes, that would be great but at the moment it all seems far too complex and
that creates frustration.

> And yes, that is a fiendishly complex task on which a lot of very
> intelligent, capable and dedicated people work to the extent their
> respective lives and employers permit.
This is a quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi
"Because Akonadi takes care of data storage and retrieval, which are
traditionally the difficult parts of creating a PIM application, development
of PIM applications is made much easier."

> If things aren't going fast enough for you, I suggest you do what you can to
> help them accelerate it, or at least let them get on with their work.
I do report issues, ask questions etc on this list.  It would be nice if error
reporting was easier, Amarok (i think) had a great system in the early days.
When it crashed it popped up an email with all relevant (i guess) data and all
you had to so was explain what you were doing just before the crash and press
send.
If could code, i would.

regards

Ian