[kdepim-users] Preparing for KDEPIM 2

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Apr 12 20:19:42 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 12. April 2012 schrieb O. Sinclair:
> On 12/04/12 16:46, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > This is a bit longer. I want to get some handle on my migration to
> > KDEPIM 2 instead of doing it ad-hoc without any previous planning
> > and preparations.
[… ideas about migration from current to interim to finally intended result
…]

> Just a few comments from my own experience: creating an empty fresh
> kmail and the set up new accounts, import old backup-emails worked far
> better than an earlier "migrate" attempt. Kubuntu has a wiki on this
> actually.

I read that quite some time. I intend to try the import thing then, I bet.

> Crm114 is botched in 64-bit at least, I had to change to spambayes.
> Export/save your filters or be prepared to recreate them.

Huh. I am using it on 64-Bit. Please elaborate it a bit. Here it seems to
work just nicely.

> Pop3 seems far less problem-prone than IMAP (I only use pop myself and
> have few problems).

Hmmm, that would be a reason to stay with POP3.

> Email address autocompletion seems not to work in any 4.8.x version and
> that also goes for Distribution Lists. One way to get around it is to
> save template emails based on your lists. Clumsy but works.
>
> For that very reason I am still on 4.7.4 and awaiting a version where
> addressbooks work as I expect them once more.

Thanks for your hints.

I already archived another 65000 mails into mbox files. I have the idea to
just move the mbox files somewhere else and let KMail 2 only import the
maildir stuff initially. I can always try to import the about a million
mails (946468 unread ones) in the mboxes at a later time. It might be wise
to tell Nepomuk initially to not index them.

I told Nepomuk strigi indexer to skip ~/Mail completely for now. I think
thats sane anyway, cause later on there is some Akonadi Nepomuk mail
feeder in KMail 2. No need to index mails twice.

Ciao,
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C