[kdepim-users] Spell-checker in KMail 1.13.7

Andreas Mahel andreas at mahel.net
Sun Sep 4 21:26:38 BST 2011

Am Sonntag, 4. September 2011, 15:20:12 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Sunday 04 Sep 2011 Andreas Mahel wrote:
> > Actually, what I'm missing in the identity configuration / dictionary
> > selection is an option to "just use the system default".
> >

> > What I would propose is to add such a selection, and make it the
> > default
> > value. This would leave an "untouched" kmail follow the global system
> > settings, and still leave the possibility to assign specific languages
> > where  needed. For me this would give a more "natural" feeling of the
> > configuration part.
>
> Do you know whether this has been attended to in KMail 2?  I haven't
> changed  yet, so I don't know.  If it hasn't, then it would be reasonable
> to file a wish for this.
>
> Anne

I'm living (and suffering) with kmail2 for almost a year now, so yes, it's
about kmail2.

I verified the behavior on a pretty vanilla installation, and actually, I
found the results a bit puzzling.

To begin with, the system (spell checking) language was German, which also
appeared in the settings of my three mail identities.

After changing the system default to US English, the mail identities still
listed German as spelling language, BUT... new messages highlighted errors
according to English spelling.

After changing the language to something else, and then back to German again
(each with a save), the identity would go for Germa spell checking.

To me this looks like the vanilla default would do as I'd expect it to - that
is follow the global default (which is a good starting point).
However, this is not reflected in the settings dialog, and there seems to be
no easy way to get back to this default  after the language has been changed
once in the identity setting.

For what I see, the only thing missing is an additional "use the system
default" choice in addition to explicitly selecting one of the installed
dictionaries/languages within the identity settings dialog.

Best regards,
Adnreas

--
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten.