[kdepim-users] kmail2 apparently losing mail while migrating to local imap

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Sep 26 09:20:12 BST 2011

Am Montag, 26. September 2011 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> Hi,

Hi Andras!

Many thanks for your answers.

> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2011 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> >> Hi,
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> >> As part of migrating away from kdepim entirely, I've created a local
> >> IMAP instance in Dovecot and configured this as a local receiving
> >> account. It shows up in the left sidebar of kmail.
> >>
> >> kmail version      4.7.0
> >> KDE version        4.7.0
> >> Local folder       ~/.local/share/local-mail
> >> local imap folder  ~/.maildir
[...]
> >> Dragging items to the IMAP folder makes them appear in kmail's
> >> display in the correct place and they can be read. However, the
> >> originals are no longer in ~/.local/share/local-mail and do not
> >> appear in ~/.maildir either. They seem to have been deleted off
> >> disk.
>
> Unfortunately so far we couldn't reproduce the issue. We really tried
> it at the last PIM meeting and I will give a try once more as soon as
> I have time.

Thats unfortunate. I understand that to fix a bug its essential to be able
to reproduce it and understand the cause of it.

> > Would KMail 2 work with my current Akonadi SQLite setup at all? How
> > to migrate if not? I bet there isnĀ“t much to migrate as only
> > contacts data is cached yet.
>
> I am strongly suggest against using SQLite for Akonadi. My number of
> gray hair grew until I realized that my distro patched Akonadi to
> default to SQLite. There is no migration path between database
> backends, so your only solution is to change the backend and import
> everything again. What you will loose is meta information stored in
> the cache ("real" data will not be lost). If you already had KMail2
> set up and used filters to move mail around, you'll have to
> reconfigure the filters (basically the destination of moves).

So you recommend using MySQL? Or would PostgreSQL work as well?

> I hope we will find the cause of data loss soon. There were already
> fixes in maildir and mixed maildir resources, one fixed a data loss
> when downloading POP3 mails, but as I said so far we couldn't
> reproduce the copy/move data loss between folders.

I think I wait till official Debian packages are ready before I try to use
KMail 2 for my productive data.

When I find time, I would try importing my mail accounts in a VM. But I
still use POP 3 and its a lot of data I need to copy first:

martin at merkaba:~> du -sh Mail
12G     Mail
martin at merkaba:~> find Mail -type f | wc -l
411385

(The total number of mail if way larger, cause I use mbox files for
archiving old mails.)

I already thought about migrating to IMAP before the move to KMail 2.
Maybe that would make sense as it should easy testing of KMail 2. I think
IMAP might be whats best supported in KMail 2 anyway.

I stuck to POP3 cause its quite an effort to migrate everything to IMAP
properly and I need to look at my virtual server to be capable to handle
the storage requirements safely.

Ciao,