[kdepim-users] open request to KDEPIM devs to address four long-standing regressions

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 21:27:33 BST 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:47:13 -0700
pkbugs+kdepim at ssl-mail.com wrote:

> Anne,
>
> On Monday, October 17, 2011 7:04 PM, "Anne Wilson"
> <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I have to agree that this is almost certainly not a regression.
> >  In some 10 years of using KMail I have never seen a QR code until
> > 4.7 (which is when I got KMail 2).
>
> Depends on what you consider a regression.  For me it includes both
> funtionality AND usability lost.  But I won't uselessly belabor the
> semantic point.
>
> > I do tend to agree that a setting to disable new features that are
> > intrusive would be helpful, but that's another matter.
>
> It's not at all another matter from my users' perspective.
>
> Prior to forced-QR-codes, they 'had':
>
> (1) a dispaly of information that was manageable on small screens
> (2) info that understandable ("what are these things?"),
> (3) functionality that's not against policy (We, and a number of our
> clients, by policy don't allow QR codes usage inside the firewall. No
> way to verify what they 'do' ....  Yes, that's out choice, and one
> we'd like to have the option to continue).
>
> Calling it 'another matter', while a fair point & probably technically
> correct, distracts from the main intent of my post -- that
> long-standing and increasingly (un)popular issues aren't getting
> fixed, and it's costing time, money and adoption.

Pat,

I think what Anne was getting at is that there's a trick to getting a
developer's attention, and she described the general case. Your case if
specific to you of course so you'll have to adapt your communication to
fit.

The thing to concentrate on is not so much the detail, but rather on
how to avoid have your bug report be perceived as yet more of the dross
in people's inbox.

It's a perception thing I guess - get inside a typical dev's head and
supply the info in the style they expect to receive it.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com