[kdepim-users] Kaddressbook lost contacts 11.10 upgrade

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Oct 22 09:12:47 BST 2011

On Thursday, 2011-10-20, Gus Zernial wrote:
> I just upgraded from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, using the KPackageKit
> desktop notification and
> "start upgrade now". Subsequently when I opened Kaddressbook its
> contacts list was empty.
>
> As a test, in 11.10 I imported an old vcf card file into Kaddressbook,
> and on that basis I believe the
> Kaddressbook contacts are now stored as individual vcf cards in
> ~/.local/share/contacts. Is that correct?

Yes, that's the default location for the addressbook called "Personal
Contacts".
I am on a very old KDE setup, upgraded through the years, so my addressbook is
still $HOME/.kde/share/config/kabc/std.vcf

> Can someone tell me where my addressbook and/or vcf cards would have been
> in 11.04, and thus in my
> backup prior to upgrading .... or if they would have been saved anywhere
> during the 11.10 upgrade
> process ... or if there is any way to recover my addressbook and/or vcf
> cards from my recent 11.04
> backup????

You'll either have to ask on a Kubuntu list or provide version numbers that
have any meaning in the context of KDE PIM.

The most likely location, if it isn't $HOME/.local/share/contacts is
$KDEHOME/share/apps/kabc, where $KDEHOME is usually $HOME/.kde if the variable
is not set.
Check
kde4-config --localprefix

Cheers,