[kdepim-users] Frequent coruptions of data base. Any remedies?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Nov 12 20:53:06 GMT 2011

Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:

> Is there a reason why they are not default? If my email were POP, I
> would have lost considerable amounts of mail by this.

This is common misconception: losing the akonadi database will NOT lose your
mails. The database stores two things:
- it acts as a cache
- it stores metadata information (tags, extra flags)

For POP3, what you'd lose it tags. For POP3 the mail body is cached only
temporary, it is deleted after a time anyway. Flags are stored encoded in
the filename (well, if you have KDE 4.7.2+).

For disconnected IMAP the database stores the whole mail, but of course
there is no data loss, as the mails are also stored on the server.

Neverthless having a corrupted database is bad, and this being a mysql bug
puts us in a bad situation, as MySql is the most tested backend and the
current default (sqlite is unreliable, postgres might work, although it is
not that well tested), as makes the applications unusable and takes up
considerable amount of time (user's time).

> The MySQL folks suggest to dump the database and manually feeding the
> data back in there, maybe AKonadi could do that?

Question is, how often? When? And that would double the amount of space you
need in the $HOME.

BTW, is you $HOME on an NFS share? AFAIK that has problems with mysql
databases especially on suspend/resume.

Andras