[kdepim-users] KMail SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Nov 24 20:22:31 GMT 2011

John Aldrich wrote:

> System is Fedora 16 on an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
> with 4 Gigs of RAM. NOT a "slow" machine!
> Admittedly I have a LOT of stored email, but the system is slower than
> molasses in January at the arctic circle! Why?

I can't guess, but maybe looking what is using the cpu (top) or the disk
(iotop) could give a clue. It can be kmail, it can be an akonadi process, it
can be a nepomuk process, a lot of things.

> What changed between the
> "old" KMail and the "new" kmail?

A lot, the backend completely.

> I wish I could just go back to the old
> kmail (Fedora 15 and prior) until this gets sorted out. Not to mention
> KMail is a HUGE resource hog. I watched the temperature gauge on system
> shoot up when trying to "sort" through a folder that had a few thousand
> messages. Why????

Again, something is using your CPU.

> Not to mention, it wants to "filter" each folder EVERY time I open it.
> Again...why?

It shouldn't, although check if your filters are migrated correctly, apply
only to inbox and that your mails are not all "unread" (could happen if you
have kde 4.7.1 or earlier).

> I don't WANT to filter EVERY message in EVERY folder! I
> told the filters to ONLY filter /one/ account, but it seems to ignore
> that setting.
> What the heck is WRONG with KMail that it won't do what I tell it to???
> Who programmed it to process filters on EVERY local folder????

A hint: turn off filters, sync the maildir, mark mails as read, set the
maildir to not sync on mail check, turn filters on.

Also be sure mysql is used as backend (check with akonaditray or
akonadiconsole).

Andras