[kdepim-users] KDEPIM 4.7 and virtuoso-t eating cpu

Sat Nov 26 19:00:27 GMT 2011

On Friday, November 25, 2011 05:52:28 PM O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 25/11/11 12:32, O. Sinclair wrote:

> >> If you turned them back on after removing the virtuoso database, it
> >> might be that it didn't index the contacts yet.
> >> You can monitor the Akonadi Nepomuk Feeder inside akonadiconsole, and
> >> you will see that it suspends itself quite aggressively (at least in
> >> the upcoming 4.8), even a slightest move of mouse does that. This to
> >> reduce CPU
> >> usage and distruption of the users work, with the price of slower
> >> initial indexing.
> >
> > That seems to be correct- so what can I do to get it started?? switch
> > on, log in and do nothing for a while?
>
> I got autocompletion back in the weirdest way I can/could imagine. Just
> playing around I thought that if I added another addressbook inside
> Contacts that might sort of work alongside the Akonadi. So I added an
> Adddress Book pointing to the same folder.
>
> Suddenly autocompletion works! I then REMOVED the empty useless address
> book and rebooted. Autocompletion from my Akonadi vcard resource still
> works!
>
> Now if that is not odd behaviour I don't know what is but it works and
> no more cpu eating.
>
> Anyone wants to know how the whole dance was done step by step email me.
> Before I forget...

The nepomuk feeder appears to "remember" which contacts were indexed
previously and does not do it again. Hence when you delete the nepomuk
database, you lost the index but nepomuk feeder does not know that it needs to
reindex. Another way to reindex is to remove the current
nepomuk_contacts_feeder agent and add it again.

This is just my understanding of how it works.
--
Cheers!
Kishore

Ps: With the above understanding, I do not agree with it's way of working. i.e
there has to be a way for the feeder to know that it needs to do it again.
This issue can surface even when nepomuk is restored from a backup (there is
an option for this IIRC). Contacts added recently to the address book would
then be "lost" atleast for the purpose of auto completion.