[kdepim-users] KMail SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Nov 26 10:58:38 GMT 2011

Am Donnerstag, 24. November 2011 schrieb Werner Joss:
> I'm not complaining about new developments like kde4/akonadi/nepomuk
> not  working 'out of the box' as expected.
> I know things like that need their time to mature. this is quite
> normal. but I'm still not convinced the whole direction taken was the
> right decision. it just seems like overkill to me to e.g. have a
> database server running on a simple single user desktop system just to
> be able to share adresses/emails between applications (which is a good
> thing, though).

Since with Zimbra I have seen how blazingly fast a mail system can be that
uses MySQL as a metadata storage for mail (see my other post about
accessing a folder with 250000+ mails), I am quite sure that in the end
the database isn´t the issue here.

I think about KDEPIM 2 a bit like about KDE 4.0. KDE 4.0 was not end-user
ready. And from what I read here, I did not yet try it myself, KDEPIM 2
isn´t either. But from KDE 4.2 onwords KDE 4 became quite usable, with KDE
4.6 its pretty good already, with KDE 4.7 even better I´d guess. So I
think after some time and some more effort by the brave KDEPIM developers
and users testing the software future KDEPIM 2 versions will be fine.

I always wanted to try KDEPIM 4.7.x in a virtual machine, but for a real
test I have to move over

martin at merkaba:~> du -sch Mail
13G     Mail
13G     insgesamt
martin at merkaba:~> find Mail | wc -l
427056
martin at merkaba:~>

to the virtual machine. (And its more mails than that, cause I have mboxes
for archival purposes.)

Might be easier to at least try KMail2 with my IMAP account at work, but
there I hesitate to do it even more cause of the data loss scenarios
mentioned on this list. I would like to wait, until its pretty clear that
KDEPIM 2 won´t eat company mail before trying. Maybe if I try to clone my
company mail account to a test user. I think we should have the resources
to do that. But then thats only half of a test, since there does not need
to by any filtering involved on the client side since filtering is done on
the server side.

Hmmm, I may try the following:

- duplicate my private mail account and have postfix drop mails to both
accounts

- still use the main account with KMail 1.13.7 from KDE 4.6.5

- use KDEPIM 2 from KDE 4.7.3 with the duplicated account

Hmm… might be good to look for a KDE live distro…