[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 6 11:52:38 GMT 2011

On Saturday, 2011-11-05, Andreas Zeller wrote:
> Am 04.11.2011, 20:57 Uhr, schrieb Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > On Friday, 2011-11-04, Andreas Zeller wrote:
> >> Am 03.11.2011, 12:25 Uhr, schrieb Anne Wilson
> >> <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> >>
> >> Now I wan't to reorganize the recourses.
> >>
> >> KDE Address Book (traditional), stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf
> >> contains 332 files like 0zOAxp8Uzi (without file extension) and seems to
> >> work fine.
> >>
> >> Personal Contacts, stored in ~/.local/share/contacts/ contains 225 files
> >> like N2Hc4XYPUi.vcf But there are some contacts lost and no pictures
> >> stored.
> >>
> >> So is it a good idea to remove Personal Contacts in the Akonadi Resource
> >> Configuration? What about the files in ~/.local/share/contacts/ ?
> >
> > Theoretically the Personal Contacts should be able to handle the same
> > data. My
> > guess is that the loss happend during automated import of one into the
> > other.
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with just keeping the data in
> > ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but the so called traditional address book
> > resource could be a bit problematic [1].
>
> Whats the Information behind [1]? I still wonder what the benefits of
> Akonadi are for a simple user like me (no Grouware). Till now there are
> only complications.

Gah! Forgot to add the footnote :(

Here we go:
The "traditional addressbook/calendar resources" are basically wrappers of the
legacy KDE contact/calendar API into a respective Akonadi resource.
In theory that is pretty straight forward, unfortunately in reality it is not.

The main problem is that some of the plugins used by the legacy framework have
only ever been tested with the respective data types main application
(KAddressBook, KOrganizer).
So the otherwise correct usage inside the Akonadi resource sometimes triggers
bugs in these plugin or call methods in an order not expected by the plugin,
etc. (situation for addressbook is a lot better, addressbook API was used by
multiple applications so plugins got more testing).

These resource are mainly intended as a transitional tool. For every storage
method where a "pure" Akonadi resource exists, this should be preferred over
using the "Traditional" form.

> > Depending on whether you want to check out alternatives you could do two
> > things
> > - copy the contents of stdvcf directory to another director (so the
> > orginal
> > remains safe) and point either a vcard directory resource or a personal
> > contacts resource to that directory
> > - clear out the personal contacts resource you have (either through
> > kaddressbook or by stopping akonadi and removing all files in
> > ~/.local/share/contacts/) and copy the contacts from the traditional
> > address
> > book (again either through KAddressBook or by file copy with akonadi
> > stopped).
>
> I removed the Personal Contacts in KAdddressbook and removed (renamed) the
> folder. Than I added a new Personal Contacts-recourse in Akonadi and
> imported my backup-vCard-file (*.vcf) and it worked fine. Now I have all
> contacts and pictures again. And I could see a progress bar during import.
> ;)

Excellent!

> >> And what about the BACKUP?
> >> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook#Organising_Backups (and
> >> even the German Version) is not really helpful. My home-backup will
> >> contain all files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but restore (copy)
> >> them
> >>
> >>  from a backup will cause inconsistency in the database, am I right?
> >
> > That shouldn't be a problem. The resource will not pick up changes in
> > the file
> > system automatically (if I rememeber correctly), but an addressbook
> > reload or
> > Akonadi restart should do that.
>
> So if there are again some problems, I will stop Akonadi, copy the files
>  from my rsnapshot-backup in ~/.local/share/contacts/ and start Akonadi
> again and all will be fine? Sound not really complicated.

Yes. You might have to explicitly trigger a reload of the addressbook, not
sure if Personal Contacts resource does that at startup.

> >> Is there a way to backup/export akonadi recourses automated?
> >
> > Not yet. We had a Google Summer of Code student working on that but the
> > code
> > isn't anywhere near usable right now.
>
> I make backups of /home/USER on an hourly basis so
> ~/.local/share/contacts/ is included. But a scheduled export in a
> vCard-file would be a good idea, I think.

True, you might be able to do that with a script and kabcclient.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring