[kdepim-users] how to synchronize kmail2 etc. between two machines?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Nov 23 09:36:33 GMT 2011

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I have two machines:  a laptop (for travel) and a desktop.  With
> kmail, I rsync'd key directories and bam! my laptop was a mirror image
> of my desktop.  All set for travel.

I have that as well. :)

> With kmail2, with the existence of a database, it may not be as
> simple as rsync'ing.

Syncing the metadata indeed is something that is not easy.

> Does anyone have any information on how to synchronize two machines
> with akonadi in the mix?  I only wish to apply the deltas and not
> re-create the entire akonadi database every time.

I just sync the maildir folders, the (local) addressbook, kmail
configuration (not the akonadi config and database!). For IMAP I don't sync,
the sync happens through the server. Yes, it means that if you didn't use
the laptop for a longer time, it will download some mail...

In theory you could sync the whole database file and configuration, but you
have to make sure the akonadi server is shut down on both source and target
machines before synchronization. I never tried it, so cannot guarantee the
success.

> As a side note:  I'm currently in the throes of trying to migrate my
> kmail folders by importing -- migration didn't work.  It's taking a
> very long time but I also have a lot of archived e-mail.  One year
> alone has nearly 21,000 messages.  :)

Yes, initial import is long and will take a lot of memory (in case the
memory usage doesn't go down after import, you can restart the server).

Andras