[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Andreas Zeller a-zeller at web.de
Fri Nov 4 19:03:36 GMT 2011

Am 04.11.2011, 17:47 Uhr, schrieb Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:

> On Friday 04 Nov 2011 Andreas Zeller wrote:
>> Am 03.11.2011, 12:25 Uhr, schrieb Anne Wilson
>> <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:

[...]

>> So is it a good idea to remove Personal Contacts in the Akonadi Resource
>> Configuration? What about the files in ~/.local/share/contacts/ ?
>>
> I would leave them all alone, and use the addressbook that suits you
> best.  If
> in Personal Contacts you create Folders, copying or moving address
> records
> into those, you are in effect adding a tag.  They are still, as far as I
> cansufficient
> tell, the same record, just tagged as Family, Friend, Business, or
> whatever
> you call your folders.  I believe, too, that that directory contains a
> cache,
> so will not always display every record in the database.  I don't really
> follow the logic of that, so I'm waiting to see how that pans out, but
> it's
> one of the reasons that I prefer to have a second addressbook - if I
> can't see
> the record I want, it should still be in the other one.

I don't think I got the essential point.

I don't want to use the Personal Contacts, because there are no pictures
and some contacts seems to  be lost. I also have no need for folders like
Family, Friend, Business, or whatever because there is a full-text search.
So I think its a good idea to delete the Personal Contacts to avoid
misunderstandings. Am I right or did I overlook a detail?

>> And what about the BACKUP?
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook#Organising_Backups (and
>> even the German Version) is not really helpful. My home-backup will
>> contain all files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but restore (copy)
>> them
>>  from a backup will cause inconsistency in the database, am I right?
>>
> The database should be able to pick them up, but if you have backed up
> ~/.local/share/akonadi you will also be able to restore the database at
> the
> time that they matched, so that should be OK.

That's sounds like the data was stored in
~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ibdata1 and
~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi/collectionable.idb as I asumed? So
a backup of ~/ is enough for a efficient backup? Also for my Calender
which is stored in /~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics?

>> I can't fount Akonadi tray icon.
>>
> At some point in the 4.6.x series the tray icon was lost and was
> replaced by
> Akonadi Console, which you should be able to find listed if you put
> Akonadi
> into KRunner (Alt-F2).

I have several Akonadi programs installed but non of them is called
"console" and non of them offers me a backup and restore function as
written here:
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook#Organising_Backups

But that doesn't matter if...

>> Is there a way to backup/export akonadi recourses automated?
>>
> I don't think so, yet.  Making it part of a scheduled backup is the best
> bet.

...my backup of ~/ is sufficient?