[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 4 19:57:07 GMT 2011

Hi Andreas,

On Friday, 2011-11-04, Andreas Zeller wrote:
> Am 03.11.2011, 12:25 Uhr, schrieb Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:

> Now I wan't to reorganize the recourses.
>
> KDE Address Book (traditional), stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf
> contains 332 files like 0zOAxp8Uzi (without file extension) and seems to
> work fine.
>
> Personal Contacts, stored in ~/.local/share/contacts/ contains 225 files
> like N2Hc4XYPUi.vcf But there are some contacts lost and no pictures
> stored.
>
> So is it a good idea to remove Personal Contacts in the Akonadi Resource
> Configuration? What about the files in ~/.local/share/contacts/ ?

Theoretically the Personal Contacts should be able to handle the same data. My
guess is that the loss happend during automated import of one into the other.

There is nothing wrong with just keeping the data in
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but the so called traditional address book
resource could be a bit problematic [1].

Depending on whether you want to check out alternatives you could do two
things
- copy the contents of stdvcf directory to another director (so the orginal
remains safe) and point either a vcard directory resource or a personal
contacts resource to that directory
- clear out the personal contacts resource you have (either through
kaddressbook or by stopping akonadi and removing all files in
~/.local/share/contacts/) and copy the contacts from the traditional address
book (again either through KAddressBook or by file copy with akonadi stopped).

> And what about the BACKUP?
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook#Organising_Backups (and
> even the German Version) is not really helpful. My home-backup will
> contain all files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but restore (copy) them
>  from a backup will cause inconsistency in the database, am I right?

That shouldn't be a problem. The resource will not pick up changes in the file
system automatically (if I rememeber correctly), but an addressbook reload or
Akonadi restart should do that.

> I can't fount Akonadi tray icon.

That application is called akonaditray, should be part of the kdepim-runtime
module (which also contains the resources).

> Is there a way to backup/export akonadi recourses automated?

Not yet. We had a Google Summer of Code student working on that but the code
isn't anywhere near usable right now.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring