[kdepim-users] Kmail Nepomuk & Akonadi Is This A Generic Problem or !!!!!!

alban at mycroft1.plus.com alban at mycroft1.plus.com
Sat Nov 26 20:29:01 GMT 2011

 Just so the Next bit should NOT be taken as a RANT

 Ive Been A Happy Kubuntu User For Several Year's Now..

Till the Dist Upgrade to SEPTIC (:-{})  Ocelot  Killed My System
Here are  a Few E-mail Funnies

Brand New Install   Oceric 11.10 Kubuntu All Patches Updates Added
   (P4 Quad 8Gb Ram 32Gb Swap)

Importing Old Kmail Into The New Structure

Takes about a day... Then If you only have 8Gb Swap It Kills Init out of Ram
Swap now set to 32 Gb

Nepomuk Takes about 3Gb Ram Kmail & Kmail-Cvt About   8Gb
& Adkonad 1.5 Gb OUCH

Running Kmail from the CLI

	If You Select Messages on A Folder & then  Try to Drag Move  them into
Another Folder
If You Move The Mouse slightly Kmail Sends a Bad Xwindow Display Event
to the Command Line

The ONLY Reliable Way is To set the Icon Size to the   Large Setting
If you Move the mouse Before it Disappears when starting the Move it fails
silently   AAARGH

 K-mail Says Ready in the Bottom Immediately ...

If you go-to a folder where you Have Just moved Messages from, ( Kmail shows
Empty Even after  Refreshing the folder)

It says you will Loose Messages If You Delete That Folder
(Maybe some locking problem between Kmail & Akonadi)

Wait a Few Minutes & Try Again It Now says the folder is Empty

Deleting Duplicates Does not work for Large Folders (I Now Have 80000Ish
Messages in My Familiar Folder )

 Closing & Re Opening Kmail sometimes restores The EMPTY folders Ive Deleted
With Messages in Them

Oh Yes selecting a folder & Setting Messages to Read Crashes Kmail

(at Least I got a Backtrace BUG Report Filed) I Might have got a e-mail back
But ...

Ive Managed to Disable Nepomuk  & The Performance a a Lot Better than Before

 Before The Devs Get Too Upset is There a Debug Mode I can set Kmail Akonadi
In

To Provide More Info ???

 Most of These Things Just fail Silently

Akonadi Test says Its Ok & Does Not show anything in the Error Log