[kdepim-users] Kmail Nepomuk & Akonadi Is This A Generic Problem or !!!!!!

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Nov 26 22:16:46 GMT 2011

alban at mycroft1.plus.com wrote:

>  Just so the Next bit should NOT be taken as a RANT

I will not, but please try to write in a way that it is readable.

> Brand New Install   Oceric 11.10 Kubuntu All Patches Updates Added
>    (P4 Quad 8Gb Ram 32Gb Swap)
>
> Importing Old Kmail Into The New Structure
>

> Takes about a day... Then If you only have 8Gb Swap It Kills Init out of
> Ram Swap now set to 32 Gb

My suggestion is to not do the conversion, but set up the account manually.
And remove the akonadi database before. Well, to not write this down again
and again, here is a wiki entry for it:
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Clean_start_after_a_failed_migration

Anne or somebody else, please proof read, fix the syntax if needed.

> If You Select Messages on A Folder & then  Try to Drag Move  them into
> Another Folder
> If You Move The Mouse slightly Kmail Sends a Bad Xwindow Display Event
> to the Command Line

Probably harmless and most probably doesn't even come from KMail code.
Anyway, nothing new, many Qt/KDE apps generate those events.

> The ONLY Reliable Way is To set the Icon Size to the   Large Setting
> If you Move the mouse Before it Disappears when starting the Move it fails
> silently   AAARGH

I'm not sure I understand, but if you think it is a bug, report it as so on
bugs.kde.org.

> If you go-to a folder where you Have Just moved Messages from, ( Kmail
> shows
> Empty Even after  Refreshing the folder)
>
> It says you will Loose Messages If You Delete That Folder
> (Maybe some locking problem between Kmail & Akonadi)

Again, bugs.kde.org with clear description, including the type of the
folders (check in the kmail configuration), how you move it, etc.

> Deleting Duplicates Does not work for Large Folders (I Now Have 80000Ish
> Messages in My Familiar Folder )

Same here: bugs.kde.org.

>  Closing & Re Opening Kmail sometimes restores The EMPTY folders Ive
>  Deleted
> With Messages in Them

Probably belongs to one of the above reports.

> Ive Managed to Disable Nepomuk  & The Performance a a Lot Better than
> Before

True, but this is mostly outside of kdepim's control.

>  Before The Devs Get Too Upset is There a Debug Mode I can set Kmail
>  Akonadi
> In
>
> To Provide More Info ???

Some hints:
- enable debug outputs for akonadi/kmail with kdebugdialog
- use akonadiconsole and enable the debugger, but only for a short time when
you want to record some log, otherwise it will be slow

But the most important is clear bug report with a way to reproduce it.

Andras