[kdepim-users] Screwed up migration and KMail won't run!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:06:39 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 22 November 2011 12:39:05 Anne Wilson wrote:
> Quoting Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:
> >> Negative. The exact error is "Kmail encountered a fatal error and will
> >> terminate now. The error was: Failed to fetch the resource collection."
> >
> > I think that's caused by the Local Folders resource.
> > Remove that one, it should be automatically be recreated by the mail
> > dispatcher.
>
> Thanks. I might try that. Although I'm leaning towards reinstalling
> again with a fresh /home folder for myself -- rename my ~john folder
> and reinstall.

For kdepim/Kontact problems, Kevin and Andras know more than you or I will
ever know.  Try their solutions before anything else.

> That might fix some other strange issues I'm seeing
> with things like XFCE not working right either. I don't like the new
> KDE desktop where there are no icons on the desktop, so I switched to
> XFCE for the desktop awhile back, but I think my profile got corrupted
> recently and I've had some strangeness (things like konsole stuck in a
> corner and not moveable, etc)

FWIW I got 4.7.3 on Fedora 15 and say the same sort of problems.  Konsole was
very small and in the top corner, and settings such as the geometry and
position were totally ignored.  The whole thing was so impossible that I ended
up abandoning the install and doing a fresh one from the dvd + updates.
Whether the problem is in 4.7.3 or in Fedora packages I don't know, but I'm
back in 4.6.5 and staying away from 4.7 and F16.

Anne