[kdepim-users] Re: UIDL errors

Torgny Nyblom nyblom at kde.org
Thu May 19 15:26:15 BST 2011

On Wednesday 18 May 2011 10.49.39 Mark wrote:
> Last week, I got an UIDL error when downloading one of my email
> accounts.  Everything downloaded fine so I thought it was a temporary
> glitch.  Over the weekend, the error reappeared and is now consistant
> with no ability to download that account.  On Monday, a different email
> account which is relatively new (2 weeks) started getting the same
> error.  As of this morning, none of my 3 accounts will download.
>
> These are 3 different email servers, none of which do I control.  I know
> that server #1 was upgraded last week but talking to the sys admins on
> the other two, they haven't done anything different.
>
> I'm not even sure where to begin to fix this problem.  A web search
> revealed a bug report that essentially says this may or may not be a bug
> but an expected behavior.

What version of KMail?

I think there is a way to "reset" the uidls but I don't know it by heart :(

If I guess at what bug you were looking at I think that I'm the one who stated
that it is expected behaviour.

The issue is that by the RFC UIDLs are strictly increasing, meaning that they
may never be reused, however when some servers are upgraded and some when they
have served a number of messages there internal UIDL counter either starts
over (reinstall) or overflows. This makes the email clients to beleve that the
new mails on the server is actualy old mails (lower UIDL then expected).

/Regards
Torgny