[kdepim-users] Re: Kontact-embedded okular and pdf printing/saving: howto?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Mar 11 21:06:20 GMT 2011

On Friday 11 March 2011, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2011 22:23:30 Pascal Hasko Bernhard wrote:

> > > Wouldn't changing it in System Settings also prevent Konqueror
> > > from embedding  Okular? I'd like PDF's to open externally in
> > > Okular when opened from Kontact/Akregator both due to screen
> > > space limitation and missing menu entries and shortcuts, but
> > > when opened from Konqueror I mostly prefer it to open embedded.
> >
> > You're right. In "Systemsettings" you can set the program
> > associated with all kinds of file types, even ones you didn't know
> > existed in the first place. It takes a while to configure it, but
> > it changes the association across programs and desktop
> > environments. My Debian is running on Gnome and it works there
> > too. I'm not sure if you can exclude specific programs from the
> > file associations set up here, as you would like to do. I guess
> > you have to do some research, if you can tell Konqueror to open
> > PDFs embedded, ignoring the global configuration. You'd probably
> > have to do this somewhere in Konqueror.
>
> To my knowledge this is not possible. The Right Thing (TM), would be
> if Akregator had a context menu from which you select to open a link
> with one of the programs associated with the mimetype of the link -
> or with another program of your choosing. Like you can in Konqueror.

This is not true. You are confusing the desktop-wide (!!!) configuration
of file associations with Konqueror-specific settings. The file
associations are not Konqueror-specific even though you can open the
corresponding configuration dialog directly from Konqueror. The
associations apply to all KDE applications (and all other applications
that honor the corresponding freedesktop.org standard), e.g. to Dolphin,
KMail, Ark, Konqueror, and, obviously, also to Akregator.

I, personally, hate applications like Thunderbird which think they need
to have their own file associations even though Windows, KDE, Gnome and
certainly also Mac OS X provide system-wide file associations.

OTOH, I agree that Akregator probably shouldn't open anything but
text/html embedded.