[kdepim-users] Re: Kontact-embedded okular and pdf printing/saving: howto?

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 20:24:23 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 09 March 2011 22:23:30 Pascal Hasko Bernhard wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 09 März 2011, 07:07:26 schrieb Thomas Olsen:

> > > having Akregator (which I like too) open PDF documents externally with
> > > Okular as a stand-alone application not integrated into Kontact is not
> > > an option for you? There would be less of a problem with printing and
> > > keyboard shortcuts. You would have to change the default program for
> > > viewing PDFs in
> > > "Systemsettings".
> >
> > Wouldn't changing it in System Settings also prevent Konqueror from
> > embedding  Okular? I'd like PDF's to open externally in Okular when
> > opened from Kontact/Akregator both due to screen space limitation and
> > missing menu entries and shortcuts, but when opened from Konqueror I
> > mostly prefer it to open embedded.
>
> You're right. In "Systemsettings" you can set the program associated with
> all kinds of file types, even ones you didn't know existed in the first
> place. It takes a while to configure it, but it changes the association
> across programs and desktop environments. My Debian is running on Gnome
> and it works there too. I'm not sure if you can exclude specific programs
> from the file associations set up here, as you would like to do. I guess
> you have to do some research, if you can tell Konqueror to open PDFs
> embedded, ignoring the global configuration. You'd probably have to do
> this somewhere in Konqueror.

To my knowledge this is not possible. The Right Thing (TM), would be if
Akregator had a context menu from which you select to open a link with one of
the programs associated with the mimetype of the link - or with another
program of your choosing. Like you can in Konqueror.
The problem is that I don't think Akregator has a dedicated maintainer.
I hope my broken English made any sense ;-)

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won.
http://db.tt/T0p6d6L