[kdepim-users] Re: Current state of KDE-PIM

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Mar 18 22:52:07 GMT 2011

On Friday 18 March 2011, Myrosia Dzikovska wrote:
> > If you don't want the messages to go away after 30 seconds then
> > disable automatic hiding of the pop-up (via the Notification
> > Settings in the context menu of the notification icon).
>
> Thanks. Disabling automatic hiding isn't really a good option - I
> want it for most other messages. Other than KMail's notifications,
> everything else that goes through KDE notifier is more transient and
> does not need to be shown. Which is why I thought that sending
> critical errors like authentication failure through a notification
> system which the user can disable or make invisible in various ways
> seems to be a bad idea in general.

I agree. Since this is most likely a permanent error it does not belong
in a notification.

> > Moreover, if you want to have real dialogs then configure the
> > notifications (e.g. via Settings->Configure Notifications in KMail)
> > to run the command
> >  kdialog --error "some error message"
>
> This makes more sense. But how do I pass the text of the actual error
> message to it? Is there a code like "%s" that I could use? Not
> obvious to me from the interface.

Hmm. For the option to use output via speech %m will be substituted with
the text of the notification. I don't know whether %m also works for
"Run command". The help doesn't mention any placeholders for "Run
command".