[kdepim-users] Re: Akonadi + nfs home directories

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Mar 31 18:41:32 BST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 31. März 2011 schrieb Lars Behrens:
> Am 29.03.2011 21:10, schrieb Martin (KDE):
> > I dig a little bit into it. running akonadi on nfs home
> > directories is not recommended. This is inherited from the
> > underlying database (mysql).
> >
> > But it works, nless you don't login on two different
> > computers with the same user and start akonadi twice.
>
> Nope, not even that works reliable here. Or at least I didn't get
> it to work.

This is something I don't get. In the net there are reports of nfs
home users where akonadi never worked (reason: nfs does not support
sockets). On the other hand: I have it working. Is there something in
the server or client setup?

> > Network must be
> > reliable of course.
>
> That's self-evident with a network fs :-)
>
> > As someone on the mailing list pointed out, it is common in
> > enterprise environment to share home directories via nfs. So the
> > bad news is: akonadi is not enterprise ready (as long as nfs is
> > used).
>
> Yes and that really is a great bummer. I have to deal with stuff I
> don't want to because of that.
>
> > Good news:
> > they are working on it.
>
> Duke Nukem Forever comes to my mind, hehe.
>
> > But nfs is no solution on the long run anyway. With laptops
> > sometimes connected to the net and sometimes not you have to
> > choose different home sync functionality. For my laptop users I
> > do an rsync via ssh of the home drive at login and logout. May
> > be it is time to do it for desktop computers as well. If there
> > are not that many files in home directory it is quite fast
> > (compressed rsync). And a network breakage will not kill your
> > session.
>
> Thanks for the input, but that is definitely no option here.

So how do you handle laptops? I had major problems with w-lan loosing
network connection every now and then. NFS was not option then.

> Cheerz,
> Lars

Martin